Our Boys

Our Boys
Gavin with his brothers

Saturday, January 1, 2011

1.1.11

Happy New Year Everyone! I hope that 2011 will be full of Heath and Happiness for all of you!

Sorry I haven't updated you about Gavin's cataract surgery. It has been a very trying couple of weeks for us. You see, Gavin ended up not getting the surgery! Yes, I know....AGAIN!!! I guess 'Third times a charm' is just a figure of speech. Anyways, we had our Christmas early as planned and everyone was able to make it (except for my brother who lives in Hawaii). It was pretty much perfect! The kids had a great weekend and so did the adults.

Monday came around and I took Gavin in to his eye Dr here to check and make sure his eyes were clear for surgery. He passed with flying colors :) I called the Miami Dr's office twice...first to confirm the surgery date and second to schedule his pre-op for the surgery.

Tuesday we packed up the kids and started our 5 hour road trip to Bascom Palmer. The kids were amazing... never complained and just enjoyed the ride. As we were sitting in the waiting room and trying to keep our bored kids occupied with lollipops, movies and games...Gavin finally got called back to the exam room. Tyler took him and in 10 minutes they were back out. They just asked questions. A few minutes later they called Gavin back again. I took him to the exam room and we played some word games while we waited for his Dr. His Dr came in and asked her questions...how is his health, medications and so on. Then she did her pre-op eye exam and was very delighted to see how 'healthy' his eyes were! No cells floating around...this means no inflammation!!!! This is the best she has ever seen his eyes and said that they are perfect for surgery!!! I was so happy and relieved and thought that we had finally done it...all this hard work of trying to keep him healthy enough has finally paid off and he will be able to have his surgery.....not so much.

The Dr walked to the other room and told me that she has good news and bad news. Good news is that his eyes look great...bad news is that he can't have he surgery. Wait! What? I was speechless! I literally had no voice...it was like my vocal cords were paralyzed. I was in shock and just stood there staring at her. She then told me that when she called to schedule his surgery (that day) they were booked already. Well, I don't think it takes a genius to figure out that scheduling a surgery the day before the surgery is risky! Honestly, I think that she plain forgot because she proceeded to tell me that she was booked that day with surgeries.....hmmmmm?! Someone needs to get their story straight! I asked her if she could do it the following day and she said that would be a great day because it is not a busy day in the OR...but...she is going out of town. Again, I was left speechless! So, we left the office with a new surgery date of January 6.

The drive home was painful. I think I cried most of the way. I didn't understand why this kept happening to Gavin. My husband and I felt lost, confused, upset, angry...but... a little part of me was kinda relieved. I didn't understand why I felt this relief. I kept praying for an answer as to why Gavin hasn't had his surgery yet.

A lot of things have been falling into place ever since that day. When we got home I had a package waiting for me in the mail from my Aunt Gloria. It was a Rosary with a letter from her. I broke down into one of those -good but ugly- cries! It was perfect and just want we needed. A couple days later the kids and I drove up to visit with my sister. The next day Gavin started to take a turn for the bad. He was not doing well at all and was constantly going to the bathroom and stopped eating and drinking... for the most part. Tyler got up there Christmas morning and we called his Rheumy. She suggested that we take him to the ER...so we did. They gave him fluids, steroids and antibiotics...ran some labs and took a culture. His labs came back good (well, good for Gavin) and he was feeling better so we were sent home.

Gavin is still having the same problems. Not much of an appetite, always going to the bathroom, the occasional vomiting, tired....

He was scheduled for his infusion on December 30th. Tyler took him and let me rest at home since I ended up getting sick. The infusion did not go as planned. Because of his symptoms they decided not to give him his Actemra infusion because it is an immune suppressant and if he has an infection the infusion will only make it worse. But they gave him his steroid and IVIG infusion along with more labs and another culture.

That leaves us to today 1.1.11
So, now I see why Gavin was not meant to have this surgery yet. It's just not the right time. I really don't think that he is strong enough and his body has a lot more healing to do before it can handle the stress of surgery. God has answered my prayers and I am now shifting my focus. Before I was angry with the Dr's and staff at the hospital where he was supposed to have his surgery. Now I am thankful that the surgery didn't happen. His body would not of been able to heal with how it is now.

So, I ask you for your prayers for our son! I hate watching him suffer like this...it is so hard! Please pray for healing and strength....he needs it.

Good news is that he still has that awesome smile on his face and it gives me comfort knowing that he is not going to let anything break his Spirit and Charm! He is an amazing little boy...our little Angel :)

Sorry this was so long. I actually left a lot out...I didn't want to totally bore you ;) I will keep you updated on how he continues to improve.

Love to all
xxooxxoo

2 comments:

  1. Julie, you and Gavin are so amazing. Your family is always in oour thoughts and prayers. Much love to you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Gavin…I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete